Literature in this category is about aligning your company with user centred product development.
- Earthy, J. (1998) Usability Maturity Model: Human Centredness Scale, Information Engineering Usability Support Centres: 34.
A proposal for a classification system of the ‘usability maturity’ (to what extent a company is able to deliver usable products) of organizations
usability maturity, organization, user-centred design proficiency, classification scheme, company
- Jenkins, J. (2008) “Creating the Right Environment for Design.” Design Management Review 19 (3).
In which the author discusses a number of organizational issues that can influence designers positively and negatively.
design management, design department, designing, designers, company, organization
- Jokela, T. (2004) “When good things happen to bad products: where are the benefits of usability in the consumer appliance market?” Interactions 11 (6): 28-35.
Discusses whether usability impacts commercial succes of electronic consumer products.
effects of usability, commercial, business, electronic consumer products
- Madsen, K. H. (1999) “The diversity of usability practices.” Communications of the ACM 42 (5): 60-62.
A case study based on interviews with product developers in a number of product development organisations, outlining the different approaches taken in each organization.
case study, interviews, usability specialists, usability departments, company, organization, process, multidisciplinary
- Rosenbaum, S., J. A. Rohn and J. Humburg (2000) A toolkit for strategic usability: results from workshops, panels, and surveys. SIGCHI conference on Human factors in computing systems, The Hague, The Netherlands, ACM Press.
Tips and tricks on how to get your organization to prioritize and integrate usability.
usability maturity, organization, practice, company
- Veryzer, R. W. and B. B. d. Mozota (2005) “The Impact of User-Oriented Design on New Product Development: An Examination of Fundamental Relationships.” Journal of Product Innovation Management 22 (2): 128-143.
A theoretical exploration of fundamental effects of a user-centered design approach on new product development organizations.
An exploration of fundamental effects of a user-centered design approach on new product development organizations and processes, based on a literature review.
user-centered design, process, organization, company, multidisciplinary teamwork, process
- Wiklund, M. E., Ed. (1994) Usability in Practice; How companies develop user-friendly products. Cambridge, AP Professional.
A collection of self-reported descriptions of how various product development groups deal with usability.
case study, self-report, electronic consumer products, usability practitioners, practice
- Norman, D. (2007) “Design of Future Things“. New York, Basic Books.
Populair scientific book about designing products to fit in a future society and to fit with users from the future.
future, system design
- Boivie, I., J. Gulliksen and B. Goransson (2006) “The lonesome cowboy: A study of the usability designer role in systems development.” Interacting with Computers 18 (4): 601-634.
Case study investigating the role of usability designers (a role combining the usability evaluator and the interaction designer) in the development of corporate software systems.
case study, usability specialist, interaction designer, team, practice
- Gulliksen, J., I. Boivie and B. Göransson (2006) “Usability professionals–current practices and future development.” Interacting with Computers 18 (4): 568-600.
A case study of how usability professionals work in the development of corporate software systems, and what a proposal for improvements.
case study, usability specialist, practice, team
- Kuijk, J.I. van (2007). Waarom Werkt het niet Gewoon? Gebruiksgemak in het Productontwikkelingsproces. Product Magazine, Media Business Press, Rotterdam. Tijdschrift voor Ergonomie. Nederlandse vereniging voor ergonomie. ISBN 0921-4348.
Article (in Dutch) outlining the problem of usability in product development practice and the setup of Jasper van Kuijk’s PhD research project.
practice, case study, user-centred design, company
- Mao, J.-Y., K. Vredenburg, P. W. Smith and T. Carey (2005) “The state of user-centered design practice.” Communications of the ACM 48 (3): 105-109.
A questionnaire-based survey of user-centred design practice, involving practitioners from multiple disciplines (though mostly software and web developers).
survey, usability specialist, UCD-praticitioners, practitioners, questionnaire, practice
- Norman, D. (1996) Design as Practiced. Bringing Design to Software. T. Winograd. New York, USA, ACM Press.
Hilariously painful description by Don Norman of how excruciating it can be to get a design implemented that everyone knows to be an improvement.
case description, self-report, team, organisation, design, process, multidisciplinary teamwork
- Vogelstein, F. (2008) Weapon of mass disruption: the untold story of the iPhone – and how Apple transformed the wireless industry forever. Wired. New York, Condé Nast publications.
A reconstruction of the development of the iPhone. Will kill any illusions of making an iPhone killer.
practice, case study, user-centred design, company