Although electronic products show no technical or functional flaws, they fail to meet the users’ expectations. This kind of dissatisfaction is defined as “Soft usability problems”. The occurrence of these problems is strongly amplified by the fact that users are becoming more and more diverse. Therefore, the “User Characteristics” project aims to discover the relationship between user characteristics and soft usability problems.
- Kim, C.J., Christiaans, H.H.C.M., & Eijk, D. van. (2007). Soft Problems in Using Consumer Electronic Products. International Conference of IASDR, Hong Kong
Identify, categorize and argument usability problems related to consumer dissatisfaction.
- Kim C.J. & Christiaans, H.H.C.M., (2008) The Correlation Between Soft Problems and User Characteristics. Proceedings of SEAES conference (Published).
Connecting and understanding relations between consumer dissatisfaction and user characteristics.
consumer dissatisfaction, user characteristics
- Kim, C.J. & Christiaans, H.H.C.M. (2009). Usability and ‘Soft Problems’: a conceptual framework tested in practice’, at the Conference of the International Ergonomics Association (IEA ’09) in Beijing (August 9-14 2009).
A model to be used in identifying the interaction between usability problems, user characteristics and PC.
consumer dissatisfaction, framework, user characteristics, PC
- Kim, C.J. and Christiaans, H.H.C.M. (2009). ‘Soft’ problems with consumer electronics and the influence of user characteristics. Proceedings of the 17th International conference on engineering design, ICED’09 (pp. 241-251). S.l.: The Design Society.
Developing user profiles from a study in Kim & Christiaans 2008.
consumer dissatisfaction, user characteristics, user profiles
- Kim, C.J. and Christiaans, H.H.C.M. (2009). User profiles based on soft usability problems in consumer electronic products. In K Lee, J Kim & LL Chen (Eds.), Proceedings of the IASDR 2009 “Design Rigor & Relevance” (pp. 1-11). Seoul: Korean Society of Design Science.
- Kim, C.J. and Christiaans, H.H.C.M. (2011) Product Profile to Reduce Consumer Dissatisfaction in terms of Soft Usability Problem and Demographical Factors: an Exploratory Study. ICED ’11. Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Kim, C., & Christiaans, H. (2011). Who Are the People That Experience Soft Usability Problems? HCI International 2011. In C. Stephanidis (Ed.), (Vol. 173, pp. 171-175): Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Kim, C.J. and Christiaans, H.H.C.M. (2011). Usability problems: the influence of user diversity. IASDR 2011. Delft, The Netherlands.
- Kim, C.J. and Christiaans, H.H.C.M. (2012). ‘Soft’ Usability Problems with Consumer Electronics: The Interaction between User Characteristics and Usability. Journal of Design Research